Mobile Device News
WASHINGTON, PA – Alongside the release if the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C iOS 7.0.1 was released to address issues specifialy related to these phones. The update should be installed for all users of one of the new iPhones via iTunes or from the device deirectly.
Alternative Network Solutions evaluates mobile operating systems and ensures that our customers are able to integrate mobile technology into their businesses. For information on how we can help your business contact us today.
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Apple has released iOS 7. This free update offers many improvements that were detailed in this previous post.
The update can be downloaded and installed from the device itself or via iTunes.
Alternative Network Solutions installs and tests the latest mobile operating systems to help our customers integrate them into their environments. For information on how we can help your company with its mobile stragegy, contact us today.
WASHINGTON, PA – Apple has announced that iOS 7 will be released on Wednesday September 15, 2013. This update will be available as a free update to users with compatible hardware. This update introduces a entirely re-designed interface. The new interface though visually different will function in a very similar maner to the existing iOS 6. When the update is released it can be downloaded directly on the device via the Software Update function on the phone or via iTunes.
iOS 7 is compatible with the following models:
- iPhone: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5S
- iPad: iPad 2, iPad (3rd Generation), iPad with Retina Display and iPad Mini
- iPod Touch: 5th Generation
Alternative Network Solutions will be testing this update when it is available and providing assistance to users who need help installing it or using the new interface. For more information on how we can help your company integration mobile devices into your company contact us today.
Apple’s complete press release can be found below.
iOS 7 With Completely Redesigned User Interface & Great New Features Available September 18
CUPERTINO, California—September 10, 2013—Apple® today announced iOS 7, featuring a completely redesigned stunning new user interface, will be available starting Wednesday, September 18 to iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® users as a free software update. iOS 7 has hundreds of great new features, including Control Center, Notification Center, improved Multitasking, AirDrop®, enhanced Photos, Safari®, Siri® and introduces iTunes Radio℠, a free Internet radio service based on the music you listen to on iTunes®. In addition, iOS 7 has been engineered with deep technical and design integration with both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.
“iOS 7 is completely redesigned with an entirely new user interface and over 200 new features, so it’s like getting a brand new device, but one that will still be instantly familiar to our users,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “Next month we’ll be shipping our 700 millionth iOS device, and we’re excited about what our hundreds of thousands of iOS developers are doing to bring great new features to their apps.”
Apple engineered iOS 7 to take full advantage of the advanced 64-bit technologies in iPhone 5s, including the native 64-bit kernel, libraries and drivers. All the built-in apps have been re-engineered for 64-bit, and iOS 7 provides a seamless developer transition with Xcode® support and the ability to run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps. iOS 7 also provides deep integration with the new Touch ID™ sensor and takes full advantage of the new iSight® camera sensor to enable new features like automatic image stabilization, Burst Mode and Slo-Mo video with 120 fps. Combined with the new Camera App in iOS 7, iPhone 5s provides up to two-times faster auto-focus, faster photo capture and better dynamic range. iOS 7 is designed to complement the gorgeous exteriors of iPhone 5c, with matching wallpapers and translucency that carry the color through the entire experience.
With more than 200 new features, iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch includes:
- Control Center, which gives you quick access to the controls you want in one convenient place with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen;
- Notification Center, now available from the Lock screen so you can see all your notifications with a simple swipe, and the new Today feature gives you an at-a-glance view of your day with a summary of the important details such as weather, traffic, meetings and events;
- improved Multitasking that gives users the ability to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way, and iOS 7 pays attention to which apps you use most and automatically keeps your content up to date in the background;
- AirDrop, an entirely new way to quickly and easily share content with people nearby;
- new Camera app filters so you can add real-time photo effects, a square camera option, and you can quickly and easily switch between your four cameras—video, photo, square and panorama—with just a swipe;
- a redesigned Photos app that introduces Moments, a new way to automatically organize your photos and videos based on time and location;
- full-screen browsing with Safari’s new redesigned user interface, the new smart search field helps simplify searching, and there’s a new view for your bookmarks and your Safari tabs;
- Siri with new male and female voices,* Twitter search integration, Wikipedia integration and Bing web searching within the app; and
- iTunes Radio, a free Internet radio service featuring over 200 stations and an incredible catalog of music from the iTunes Store®, combined with features only iTunes can deliver.**
Additional new iOS 7 features include a new Find My iPhone Activation Lock, that requires your Apple ID and password before you can turn off Find My iPhone, erase data or re-activate a device after it’s been remotely erased; FaceTime® audio for high quality calls over a data network; and new ringtones, alarms, alerts and system sounds.
iPhone, iPad and iPod touch customers have access to the revolutionary App Store℠, which offers more than 900,000 apps in 155 countries around the world. iOS 7 now features Popular Apps Near Me, a new way to find apps based on your current location, and iOS 7 will automatically keep your apps up to date. More than 50 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store to date, offering customers an incredible range of apps in 23 categories, including newspapers and magazines in Newsstand, games and entertainment, business, news, sports, health and fitness and travel.
iOS 7 will be available as a free software update starting on Wednesday, September 18 for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth generation). Some features may not be available on all products.
*US English, French and German will be available with the launch of iOS 7. Additional languages will be added over time.
**iTunes Radio will be available with the launch of iOS 7 in the US.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Google has announced that the next version of its Android operating system will be called KitKat. Android KitKat will be version 4.4 and features and availability will be released in the coming months.
Alteratnive Network Solutions is always looking at the marketplace to ensure our customers are prepared to integrate the latest technology into their businesses. For information on how we can help your company stay ahead of technology, contact us today.
The complete press release from Google can be found below. Continue reading
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Google released the latest version of Android, version 4.3 Jelly Bean. This is a smaller release that features restricted profiles. This allows users to limit the apps that different users can access. This update is available now on Nexus devices, and should be expected to show up on other devices in the coming months.
Other features include:
- Predictive dial pad for the phone
- Improved graphics support
- Easier to use keyboard
- Location awareness while using Wi-Fi
Alternative Network Solutions is constantly evaluating all options to keep our customers connected and productive while out of the office. For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can help your company manage and make the best of its mobile devices, Contact Us today.
The complete text of Google’s announcement can be found below. Continue reading
WASHINGTON, PA – Apple has released a preview of iOS 7 to developers. This version, which will be a free update to users of supported devices, will be publicly released this Fall. iOS is the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. iOS 7 is compatible with the following currently available devices:
- iPhone: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5
- iPad: iPad 2, iPad (3rd Generation), iPad with Retina Display and iPad Mini
- iPod Touch: 5th Generation
The most significant update to iOS is the introduction of an entirely new look and feel. All of the visual elements have been redesigned with a brighter and more modern look. In addition to the the new look and feel, Apple added a Control Center to allow quick access to commonly used features. An expanded the Notifications area summarizes the current day’s activities and weather. In addition, Apple added enhancements to multitasking, photos and Safari. Improvements to Siri, Apple’s voice guided assistant, allow for better speech recognition, control more device functions, and add a new male and female voice.
Alternative Network Solutions views mobile devices as a valuable part of every business. We are constantly reviewing mobile options to help our customers stay as productive on the road as they are in the office. For more information on how we can help your company contact us today.
The complete text of Apple’s press release can be viewed below. Continue reading
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Apple released iOS 6.1. This update is available for all devices able to run iOS 6.0. Once this update is installed there are two primary enhancements. LTE connection speeds will be available from more carriers internationally and Siri adds integration with Fandango and iTunes Match.
The update can be installed either by connecting your device to iTunes or via the Software Update fucntionality in the Settings app.
The complete text of Apple’s press release can be found below.
Alternative Network Solutions helps our customers stay connected using the latest mobile devices. For information on how we can help your company integrate this technology into your business, please contact us today. Continue reading
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Apple has released iOS 6.0.2. This update applys only to the iPad Mini and iPhone 5.
This update contains only a fix for a unspecified “WiFi Bug”.
This update can be applied either directly on the device or via iTunes.
For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can help integrate mobile devices into your environment contact us today.
WASHINGTON, PA – Apple has released an update to iOS 6 today. This update includes fixes for seval bugs in the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. This update can be downloaded from the device itself or from iTunes.
iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th generation users will be prompted to first install an app which will allow them to do the updates.
The complete list of bugs fixed can be found below.
WASHINGTON, PA – Today Microsoft released Windows Phone 8. This version is the latest for their smart phone operating system. Windows Phone 8 features the same tile interface found in Windows 8 and on the XBox 360. Windows Phone 8 will only be available on new phones as devices running Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 will not be able to be upgraded to this operating system.
- Revised Smart Tiles – The tiles in Windows Phone 8 can be re-sized and re-arranged to customize the view on your home screen. These tiles automatically update to show you the latest content available for that app.
- Kid’s Corner – Limits the apps available to a user. When you switch to Kid’s Corner there is a customized home screen that prevents people from making unapproved purchases, sending message or making phone calls.
- Rooms – Allows users to chat with, share calendars and photos with a private sub groups of your social networks such as your family, co-workers or friends.
- Data Sense – This feature is designed to help preserve data to keep users from going over their limits. Images on websites are compressed as well tasks are managed to push as much data as possible to WiFi networks. Data Sense also shows how much data each app uses. This feature requires carrier support. Verizon Wireless will be the first carrier to support this feature.
- Microsoft Wallet – Windows Phone 8 allows for NFC features and mobile payment and loyalty card systems.
- Skype Integration – Skype is fully integrated into Windows Phone 8 allowing you to call someone by either making a call or using Skype.
For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can help integrate the latest mobile technology into your business contact us today.
The complete text of Microsoft’s press release can be found below. Continue reading